Are you trying to use natural hair products and feel like they are not working for you? Are you ready to give up and go back to the old brand? Have you detoxified your hair?
I pride myself in using non toxic, safe, chemical free personal care products. I make my own deodorant, only use Ava Anderson Non Toxic Make-Up and love the 3 Girls Holistic Flower Perfume. A few years ago I began my journey to chemical free personal care products ( as well as a natural, holistic lifestyle) and one of the things I have struggled with is my hair care products! Here are my tips on making natural products to work!
- You MUST change your brush. I struggled for a long time with natural hair products and couldn’t figure out my scalp for flaking if I wasn’t using any chemicals. About 6 months into the change I realized that I was still using the same brush from when I used chemical products. Not only did my scalp and hair have chemical product build up, so did my brush!
- You have to give natural products a time to work! Many people start using natural products and immediately hate them because their hair or skin starts to look worse. Well it is going to look/feel worse before it gets better! These new natural products have to fight through years of build up and chemicals to be able to start working! Hang in there…. IT WILL GET BETTER!!!
- Do not continue to use chemical products such as gel or hair spray. You will never be able to detoxify your hair when you do not eliminate the products that cause the build up!
- Detox your hair first! One of the best products I have ever found is Soap Nuts Shampoo! It can be purchased already made, or it is super easy and cheap to make your self. ( Check out my post on How To Make Soap Nut Shampoo)
Here is the Detoxification Steps I personally use:
- Make or purchase Soap Nut Shampoo. I find the cheapest price on amazon for soap nuts. Check out the products in my amazon store. I highly recommend making your own soap nut shampoo over buying it. It is much cheaper to make!
- Wash your hair with Soap Nut Shampoo Every Day for 1 month. This will help to get the chemicals out of your hair and scalp. You will begin to see flakes, but remember this is the chemical product build up leaving your hair. Rinse with apple cider vinegar.
- Wash your hair with Soap Nut Shampoo every other day for 1 month. After the first month your hair should be pretty clean of chemical build up. Now you have to “train” your hair not to go back to its old ways. Rinse with apple cider vinegar.
- Wash your hair with Soap Nut Shampoo every 3 days for one month. Rinse with apple cider vinegar. Once you have completed this step your hair detox is complete and you are no longer seeing flakes of chemicals come out of your hair. After this step you can switch to a natural shampoo ( be sure it is the real deal!) or continue on in this process to go get to a No-Poo method.
- Wash your hair with Soap Nut Shampoo every 4-6 days. Follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse. When you feel you are ready to do rinsing your hair with water and following with apple cider vinegar.
This method will not work for everyone. Many factors play into the equation when dealing with hair:
- Diet is important for hair. Be sure you are getting enough healthy fats!
- Once you commit, stay committed! Don’t give up after a week. This process takes time!
- Not everyone’s hair is the same. Remember this method works for me, but I am a caucasian female.
- If your hair is getting too dry, try using a little coconut oil as a conditioner after your get out of the shower before giving up.